With the average workday being around 7.6 hours and 30% of the UK workforce not taking a lunch hour it’s a long time that we are spending at our desks. Companies recognise that their staff need to be looked after. Absent staff leads to a negative effect on the bottom line.
Ever heard of “presenteeism”?
It is working while unwell and therefore can cause loss in productivity and that’s just the beginning. Professor Cary Cooper advised that the “Annual cost of presenteeism is ‘twice that of absenteeism’”.
Wellbeing in the workplace isn’t just about the physical things such as the furniture, it is about the emotional and mental wellbeing of everyone.
“In 2015/16 stress accounted for 37% of all work related ill health cases and 45% of all working days lost due to ill health” HSE.
Promoting Health and Wellbeing in the workplace has been our mission for over the last 10 years so when Workwise Wellness Solutions approached us to work with them on the “25 Wellbeing Actions for you and your business” we were delighted.
Where do we start and what is going to make a difference?
Our feedback includes:
- Approach Wellbeing with a holistic view – it is a phenomenon that means something different to everyone. Multi-dimensional offering is key as feeling happy, healthy and well for everyone includes varying aspects of the mental, emotional and physical.
- Ensure accountability. Wellbeing can easily slip through the cracks so identify your Wellbeing drivers and empower them to actively encourage.
- Don’t just dip your toe in – make your approach to Wellbeing constant and sustainable. Consider a strategic, measured approach.
- Communicate your offerings! What is involved, what are the outcomes and how do I take part?
- Small steps and changes can create big change. Whilst ROI is high up on the agenda for the business investment, your team will feel so valued and engaged even with the smallest initiative.
If consciously practicing Wellbeing is new to you remember change takes time, and developing new habits as a team takes a lot of practice before they become routine.
What small change are you going to commit to today?
We’re delighted to assist in creating “25 Wellbeing Actions for you and your business” It includes a range of initiatives some of which you can try out today, simple inexpensive options and other more considered options.
We are excited to be sharing some of the resource proceeds to Heads Together Charity. Heads Together are doing an amazing job at opening the conversation around Mental Health.